Information flows management in EPC and Construction projects
Engineering companies and project owners manage projects involving an increasing quantity of document flows and must ensure traceability and security of exchanges. Consequently, stakeholders’ access, sharing and dissemination of information must be simple, quick and safe.
Nonetheless, despite the fact that document flows management principles are logical and well known, they are often not properly controlled and seldom supported by adapted software and procedure. Mere EDMS quickly reach their capacity limits for this type of projects. In fact, they do not efficiently manage the automatic files of transmissions, plans, compliance with contractual deadlines, milestones, responsibilities, applicability…
Document flows management goes well beyond a basic storage system, as it is a way to ensure a complete control of project operations.
This guide explains the necessary steps to put in place this type of solution: from the strategic vision to methods and best practises to implement.
Table of contents – Information flows in EPC and Construction projects
- Priority N°1: Build the backbone of the Information System
- Priority N°2 : codify information
- Priority N°3 : ensure confidentiality
- Priority N°4 : organise exchange flows
- #1 : overview of the process
- #2 : rereading, managing observations and annotation cycles
- #3 : validation and approval cycles
- #4 : distribution and transmission of documents
- Priority N°5 : Organise files, deliverables and document configurations
- #1 : document configuration / document applicability
- #2 : management of deliverables and audits
- Priority N°6 : Monitoring progress and anticipated documents
- #1 : following up provisional lists
- #2 : managing anticipated documentation
- #3 : managing the contractual process and requirements